The wooden bridges were started to be built in the 13th century. Wood however remained the main building material till the 19th century. Only few of the noteworthy roofed wooden bridges, which were situated in Slovakia, were preserved.
The only preserved Slovak wooden covered bridge is the bridge across Hornád river in Kluknava in the local part called Štefanská Huta. It originated in 1832. Its construction is 27 m long and 3.4 m wide. The bridge in Kluknava was built for the transport of the building material for the factory construction in Štefanská Huta. It was never more seriously damaged, neither repaired.
The shingled covering and side boarding were renewed in 1832 - just hundred years after the bridge construction. In 1981 an extensive reconstruction of the bridge begun by its total dismantling. The bridge of Kluknava is according to the experts called the pride of the Slovak wooden covered bridges.
Stamp Issue: 2000-09-14