Bridge across the Danube river, near Beška, (1975)
Academician Branko Žeželj was its author and main planner. It is a road bridge 2250 meters long, made of reinforced concrete. The main continuous construction of the bridge is over three fields, with a central navigation whole of 210 meters in span, which was at the time of its construction the largest span of beam systems in Europe. The main construction of the bridge is composed of cantilevers. A new system of setting in concrete of the main bearer was applied for the first time on this bridge. The plans of the bridge were done in the Center for reinforced concrete - „IMS“, Belgrade.
New railway bridge across the Sava river in Belgrade, (1979)
Academicians Nikola Hajdin and Ljubomir Jeftović were its authors and main planners. It is a steel bridge with oblique cables of 1928 meters lenght in total. The central part of its construction is a steel formation above the river with a navigable span of 253,70 meters. The pillars are 50 meters high and are disposed in the axis of the main bearers, while the construction of the main bearers is supported with cables disposed on both sides on 51,85+51,0 m distance. This bridge was erected by this construction system as the first railway bridge in the world. The plans of the bridge were done in „Mostoprojekt“, Belgrade.
Road bridge „Most Slobode“ across the Danube river in Novi Sad, (1981)
Academician Nikola Hajdin was its author and main planner. It is a steel bridge with oblique cables of 1312 meters length in total. The main navigable span of the bridge is 351 meters, which was, at the time of its erecting, a world record related to this system of construction. The pillars are 57,80 meters high and they are disposed symmetrically in relation to the span of the bridge, in the center of the cross section. The total width of the bridge is 27,68 meters with a six - lane road, three in each direction. The plans of the bridge were done in the Institute „Kirilo Savić“, Belgrade, cooperator „Prednapregnuti beton“, Belgrade. The bridge was destroyed in 1999, during NATO bombing. It was reconstructed and put again into operation in 2005. The main contractor for all three above mentioned bridges was „Mostogradnja“, Belgrade.
Stamp Issue: 2011-06-20
July 16, 2011
Their history begins in 1863 when Effingham Grant, secretary of the British consul in Bucharest, married to Ana Golescu’s daughter, builds the first foundry in Bucharest near the “Ground Barrier” or “Belvedere Alleyway”,as it was called. In that period, Grant also brings and plants orchids in the garden of his villa (the only ones in Bucharest at that time) and, for this reason, the name Basarab Road was changed into Orhideelor Road (Orchids Road).
In 1864, the “Belvedere Tobacco Manufacture” was established and in 1879 it will be called the “Administration of State Monopolies” and hence, the name of an entire neighbourhood – “Regie”. Grant parcels out the lands in the area and gives them to the railway company employees, subsequently appearing here “Grant” and “Giulesti” Neighbourhoods. In 1912 the Grant Bridge was built and, in 1982, it was replaced with a new structure.
The cable-stayed bridge is 365 m long and is supported by two pillars, each being 80 m high and provided with 30 stays placed on each side of the pillars.
The arched bridge over Dambovita River is 124 m long and its deck is supported through rubber bearings by abutments, under which there are 40 m deep columns. The arch opening is 118 m.
Between the two bridge-structures, unique in Romania, the road traffic and the tramway circulation take place on a post-stressed reinforced steel concrete viaduct of 1500 m long, including also the access ways; the access ways are also stressed by an innovative method, and, just as the bridges, benefits of an advanced earthquake protection system used for the first time in Romania.
Basarab Overpass connects Nicolae Titulescu Boulevard and Grozavesti Road and will improve the road traffic in this area, therefore completing the main North-West traffic ring of the town.
By its construction, Basarab Overpass becomes the largest intermodal point in Romania, joining tramway lines on the bridge and under the bridge, bus and trolleybus lines, subway lines, two railway stations and bus terminals for domestic and international transportation.
Stamp Issue: 2011-06-21