February 18, 2012
The Bridge is 745 metres long and 10.7 metres wide. The central arch span is 127 metres, and the maximum clearance to the sea is 26 metres. Construction commenced 1939 and the bridge was opened on 30 May 1943. It is of steel arched construction, having 10 piers in the sea from which the arches spring.
The bridge is named after Queen Alexandrine, consort of King Christian X of Denmark.
The Farø Bridges were opened by Queen Margrethe II on 4 June 1985. They were built because of the increasing congestion problems on the old Storstrøm Bridge from 1937.
Stamp Issue: 2012.01.04