October 22, 2009

Inaguration of the Seto Ohashi Bridge

The Seto Ohashi Bridge connecting Honshu (mainland) and Shikoku (large island in the Seto Inland Sea) is inaugurated on April 10, 1988. The bridge is 9.4 kilometers long, made up of six branch bridge across 8 small islands. It is a two-storied bridge; the upper for automobiles and the lower for rail ways. The bridge seen from both ends is depicted on a se-tenant strip of four.

Stamp Issue: 1988-04-08

Opening of Oh-Naruto Bridge

The Oh-Naruto Bridge is in the Honshu-Shikoku Conjunction Route, build over the faumos whirlpools of the Naruto Straits. The bridge is 876 meters main spain and 1,629 meters long. This is the suspension bridge largest in Asia and the 10th largest in the world. As a road-railway bridge, it is the largest in the world.

Stamp Issue: 1985-06-07

October 7, 2009

Technical Monuments – Bridge Kráľová at Senec

The bridge over the Čierna Voda river, on the road from Krmeš to Kráľová , was built in 1904. This type of bridge has a skeleton of stone, filled out with burnt bricks, and an artistic stone railing designed like a balustrade. The bridge had its stone predecessor from the 18th century.

The Italian constructors and stone-masons used some original Baroque material for its construction - mainly the stone balustrade. From the artistic point of view, this balustrade fully matches the fencing between the parsonage and the adjacent house. The bridge features Baroque and Art Noveau elements, but its style is best described as Neo-Baroque. Below the mansion was a wooden bridge till 1900. This bridge is a technical monument with artistic elements, secondarily registered as city planning and a historic monument. The bridge is set on four bearing rectangular pillars, spanning the river in three ellipsoid arks, the bridge-body ends in approximately 100 cm high pillars. Both ends of the bridge are filled with material from the road to the bank. The bridge is historic, associated with the Pálffy-clan in this location. The Pálffy-clan gradually allowed an extensive exemplary agricultural-industrial complex to be built - the modified mansion in Kráľová and the bridge connecting the closer surroundings on the right riverbank with the park and land behind the river on the left bank. Following the death of the last owner, Ján Pálffy, and the end of World War I, this complex started to be broken up: the land and parks were divided, and the bridge which was originally inside the mansion area ended up free standing. The original park-bridge became a road-bridge connecting the two local parts. The dimensions of the bridge: length - 4009 cm, bridge body width - 602 cm, road width - 470 cm, height of highest point above middle-ark - 680 cm.

The First Day Cover shows the Baroque stone bridge over the rivulet Sikenica in Bátovcie from 1780. The FDC Cancellation shows the Gothic bridge in Dravce.

Stamp Issue: 2007-09-05

October 5, 2009

Historical bridges - Wooden bridge in Kluknava

The wooden bridges were started to be built in the 13th century. Wood however remained the main building material till the 19th century. Only few of the noteworthy roofed wooden bridges, which were situated in Slovakia, were preserved.

The only preserved Slovak wooden covered bridge is the bridge across Hornád river in Kluknava in the local part called Štefanská Huta. It originated in 1832. Its construction is 27 m long and 3.4 m wide. The bridge in Kluknava was built for the transport of the building material for the factory construction in Štefanská Huta. It was never more seriously damaged, neither repaired.

The shingled covering and side boarding were renewed in 1832 - just hundred years after the bridge construction. In 1981 an extensive reconstruction of the bridge begun by its total dismantling. The bridge of Kluknava is according to the experts called the pride of the Slovak wooden covered bridges.

Stamp Issue: 2000-09-14

October 4, 2009

The Sturovo-Ostrihom Bridge

The Sturovo-Ostrihom Bridge, originally the Bridge of Maria Valeria, was built in 1895 as the third of the series of bridges dedicated to the Habsburg Dynasty at the Hungarian bank of the Danube river.

After the laying up because of destruction, the bridge was being reconstructed from 1919 up to 1927, but later ruined again at Christmas in 1944 as retraining German troops blew the three middle parts of the bridge up, whereupon the two supporting pillars were seriously damaged.
This war torso persisted at the Danube river for 56 years until the Slovak Republic and Hungary signed the international agreement on common restoration with the crucial financial help of EU.

The Sturovo-Ostrihom Bridge will enable constant connections across the border and contribute to the socio-economic development of contiguous Danube regions. At the same time, this work of renovation becomes a stable symbol of connecting and unifying of the European nations.

Stamp Issue: 2001-10-11